Monday, August 15, 2005

Cindy Sheehan: The Rosa Parks of Our Generation

(Okay, maybe Cindy Sheehan technically isn't part of my generation, per se -- I was born in 1945 and consequently I am a little long in the tooth to be of Cindy's generation -- but I am actually old enough to remember Rosa Parks.)

Cindy Sheehan has grabbed the spotlight away from the rich white guys who have thought for years that the country by rights and by law belonged to them -- or ought to have belonged to them.

It took one mother from Vacaville to say "Enough!" and make it stick. Now the momentum has shifted away from Baby Doc and his war-lover minions and oil-addicted overlords.

Like Rosa Parks, Cindy Sheehan has become the voice for change.

One person. That's all it takes sometimes. And this is one of those times.

Cindy Sheehan, like Rosa Parks, is an unlikely hero. But in my experience, all heroes are "unlikely".

If you can go to Crawford and join Cindy, please do it. My biggest regret is that I am unable to get away to join her.

But I am sure she will be with us in DC on Sept 24 for the big anti-war demonstration.

I will be there. Will you?

0 Comments: