Tuesday, June 13, 2006

And, Finally, Some Good News

In two unrelated stories, we finally get some good news. First, pizza and beer contain ingredients that actively fight to prevent prostate cancer. The tomato sauce on the pizza has long been believed to act as an anti-oxidant that is good for you, and now it turns out that a substance called xanthohumol, found in hops, the main ingredient of beer, seems to thwart the development of prostate cancer. However, researchers say, you'd have to drink 17 beers to get a medically-effective dose.

So ... what's the down side?

In the second story, a recent study has shown that drinking coffee can help to prevent cirrhosis of the liver.

Jeez, it doesn't get any better than this: Who knew that my two major vices would actually turn out to be good for me? On my way home tomorrow, I'll stop at my local watering hole, the Fish Bowl Brew Pub for a nice growler of India Pale Ale, swing over to my favorite coffee merchant, Batdorf and Bronson for some whole-bean Dancing Goatstm blend and drink both of them until I'm the picture of health.

Like I say, it doesn't get any better than this.

1 Comment:

JBlue said...

All right! Anything about Pop Tarts? I'm thinking the strawberry ones are really, really good for you. And they go so good with that coffee....