Given that I'm not what you could call a religious person, the Holy Holidays tend to pass me by without interruption to my real life. But, now that it is Easter Sunday, and after all the tempest-in-a-teapot flap over what Barack Obama's homeboy preacher had to say about America, I think it would be instructive to read a few quotations:
· When we are in our battle against the whole nation of the U.S. -- if you are truly in love with this nation, and if you love this nation more than anyone else, this nation will come into God's possession, and Satan will have nothing to do with it. ... With that as the bullet, we can smash the whole world.Okay, what notable religious figure said all these hateful things about America? No, it was not Reverend Wright. How about Jesse Jackson? The Pope?
· Individualism is what God hates most, and Satan likes best.
· God likes the idea of a monarchy, because it removes the cycles of election after election which can obscure the focus and direction of the nation.
· The whole world is in my hand, and I will conquer and subjugate the whole world.
· The time will come when, without my seeking it, that my words must serve as law.
· We will be able to amend laws, articles of constitution, if we wish to do so.
· Telling a lie becomes a sin if you tell it to take advantage of a person, but if you tell a lie to do a good thing ... that is not a sin ... Even God tells lies very often.
· I have met many famous, so-called famous, Senators and Congressmen; but to my eyes they are nothing. They are weak and helpless. We will win the battle. This is our dream, our project. But shut your mouth tight.
· America may boast of its virtues to the world, but look, democracy is now reaching the end of its rope. People thought democracy is the final anchor of the free world, but it is reaching its end. So what is left? America has been telling the weaker nations that they have to accept democracy, forcing them to receive so-called democracy. But look at America. It is rotten, top to bottom. There is nothing to be proud of, not their way of walking or talking or thinking.
· When you hear me putting America down, your ears are not pleased. But if we continue living in this hub of the satanic world, this New York-DC area, we are in the darkness.
Nope. Try again.
Never mind, I'll tell you. It was none other than religious cult leader and Rethug money man Sun Myung Moon.
And why, pray tell, does the MSM/SCLM fail to flail against these traitorous pronouncements, when they had no problem elevating Rev Wright's story right up there with disappearing white girls and the Britney-KFed squabble?
See the full story, The Republican Right's Moonie Problem, over at Fire Dog Lake. Like most people, I've been aware for years of this cult, but in the past I assumed that it was some kind of narrow-niche small-potatoes operation, like the Hare Krishnas and the like. This is some pretty eerie and frightening shit, and it ought to make all of us redouble our efforts to elect a full slate of Democrats this fall, and get this scary motherfucker out of OUR politics.