Tuesday, November 20, 2007

May I See Your Papers?

I grew up watching WWII movies, and I was always strongly attracted to those who showed Americans actively engaged behind enemy lines against the tyrannical regime of Der Fuehrer (e.g., The Man Who Never Was, The Counterfeit Traitor, 13 Rue Madeleine, The Rhinemann Exchange, Night Train to Munich, etc.)

One of the most chilling phrases ever heard by those behind-enemy-lines spies came when someone from the Gestapo got suspicious and asked, "May I zee your paperz?"

So it is with some interest that I note that the city of Santa Barbara CA demanded to see the military discharge papers of each and every member of Veterans for Peace before they would allow them to march in their Veterans Day parade.

Did they demand the same thing of the members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars or the American Legion before they would allow THEM to march?

I think you already know the answer to that question: No.

0 Comments: