Saturday, November 03, 2007

Go, Patty, Go!

My own senator, Patty Murray, delivered the Dem's weekly radio address today, and she laid it on the line when it comes to the BFEE and veterans.

"The president can call on Democrats to follow him in lockstep all he wants, but when it comes to caring for our veterans, we are not about to start taking advice from George Bush," she said.

Patty Murray has been a long-time advocate for veterans' rights and veterans' issues, and she is the first woman to sit on the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. We veterans here in Washington state consider ourselves lucky to have her. Whenever I feel like I've given up on the Democratic Party, all I have to do is look around to Patty Murray and my hopes are regenerated.

Go, Patty, go!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

One person does not make a party...

Dems suck almost as much as the repubs; point is they both suck and the sooner progressively minded intellectuals like yourself stop supporting a broken system the sooner it will change.

jae said...

"The president can call on Democrats to follow him in lockstep all he wants, but when it comes to caring for our veterans, we are not about to start taking advice from George Bush,"

NICE.

OPOV, out of 14 people I invtied, I have still only just one person - my angelic husband - who has committed to accompany me to the hospital on Veterans Day. It seems we are a matched pair. Only 3 people responded with valid explinations as to why they were unable to attend. I don't think I need to tell you how disappointing that is.

What is the matter with everyone? Why does no one want to acknowledge that there is true pain and suffering going on due to this moronic government?

I am very sad, but my resolve is strengthened in doing all I possibly can to make a difference.

Farnsworth68 said...

Good for you, jae. Too bad about the others, but it seems people don't want to face the fact that, since the end of the draft, the "average American" doesn't have skin in the game, so to speak, and the military exists somewhere "out there" as an invisible entity that can be called on to shoot and die, and when they come back with shattered limbs and screwed up psyches, they'd rather shunt them aside to keep them invisible.
It is sad, really, but I'm so glad that you are going to be doing something to help your local veterans.
If your local newspaper runs "reader commentary" columns, you might also want to consider writing down your experiences and your hopes and fears after your visit to see the vets, and that could provoke many people into taking some kind of action.
--The F Man