Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Way Democracy is Supposed to Work

I'll admit it right up front that I didn't watch Baby Doc's delusional view of the State of the Union last night. I can't stand even looking at the guy, let alone listen to him speak for an hour. Besides, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed would feel she'd have to lock up the guns lest I starting shooting holes in our big-screen HDTV.

However, I wish that congress would take a page from the British House of Commons, which holds a Q&A session with the Prime Minister weekly.

Take a look at this one posted on YouTube:



How great it would be if our own congress was able to -- had the balls to -- talk back to The Chimperor the way these guys do to their HMFIC. I'd actually tune in if that happened.

C-Span shows these sessions on a regular basis. They are always fun to watch.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Who or what is an HMFIC?

Unknown said...

That would be a wonderful addition to our system. But sadly, we just putter along with the bs we have.

Farnsworth68 said...

Anon-- Since I'm an old veteran, I tend to use old service terms.
HMFIC = Head Mother Fucker In Charge.

And Dusty--Thanks for dropping by. I read your blog regularly.
--The F Man

Unknown said...

Well, if we are using military terms..I dearly love SNAFU..and it fits our current idiot-in-chief's administration to a T.

I don't get around the blogosphere as much as I should..but I do enjoy your blog m'dear ;)

Anonymous said...

For once Farns (OK, more than once) I agree with you. But why stop there. We should be able to ask our congressmen and woman the same types of questions.

For instance, with John Kerry, we could ask him about his repeated use of the term "Swiftboating". He seems to believe that it means a false smear. How can that be so when his own dairy shows that his "Christmas in Cambodia" story was all make believe?

Or... why was his "Honorable" discharge signed by the Carter administration. What was it before it was "honorable"?

Farnsworth68 said...

Why drag up something from four years ago? I su,ppose you think that the Swiftboat smears were the truth? When they have all been proved to be wrong, by psople who were there on-site at the time?
Oh, and the "Carter Adminsitration" signing his discharge papers? I hadn't heard that, but it's probably because his enlistment in the Naval Reserve probably lasted until the late 1970s. Back in those days, your enlistment wasn't just for the term of active duty -- you were placed in the "Ready Reserve" for a number of years after your active duty was over (as I recall, that period of time was ten years, even though you didn't have to show up for meetings or anything);
Sorry to break you conspiratorial balloon over that, pal.

Anonymous said...

Hey Farns, didn't Kerry just use the term Swiftboating last week?

Farnsworth68 said...

So what?

Anonymous said...

I love you. You always put a big smile on my face. And I wish we were like the Brits.

Jeff (no, the other one) said...

Another lesson we should learn from our own history about the State of the Union: Thomas Jefferson filed a written report to Congress, believing a speech would be too much like a monarch deigning to address his subjects.