Thursday, January 03, 2008

Only in Texas? Sadly, No...

Here's a piece of news that is simultaneously amusing, amazing and appalling. The great state of Texas is on the verge of giving accreditation for degrees in so-called "Intelligent Design".

While it would be fun to dismiss this bullshit as something local to the Murder-by-Government capital of the entire world, it would be wrong.

Wrong in the sense that it's not localized to the state of Texas. It's a dominant theme in many states, and don't think your state is immune. I'm going to monitor a school board meeting in a town a few miles north of here because a Fundo Xian newly-elected school board member is likely to bring up ID as a valid scientific area of study and therefore a suitable topic for students in that district.

I'll be monitoring this meeting on behalf of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, so unfortunately that means I won't be able to toss any grenades into the mix, the way I would if I were there on my own.

But sometimes you have to submerge your own desires for the benefit of the greater good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I was dismayed (pissed) because I felt you were painting my home state of Texas with too broad a brush. Alas, as I thought about it more I reluctantly agree that you are, for the most part, on the mark. Although there are many progressives such as myself, the majority could only be described as "knuckle draggers". One good example is Warren Chisum, chairman of the house appropriations committee in the state legislature. He does not believe in evolution and also holds that the earth is the center of the universe and the sun, moon and planets revolve around the earth. And then there's Rick "good hair" Perry which is a whole 'nother story.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, PD.
I have family in Texas (they were early pioneers in Eastland County), so I know how you feel. I know that there are many good progressives in the state, but they tend to get subsumed by the knuckledraggers.
But I encourage everyone, even Red State progressives, to get active.
It's our country and we need to take it back.