Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I'm Back -- Tanned, Fit, Rested and Ready!

Well, maybe not all of those...

I spent my winter "vacation" smoking cheap cigars, drinking too much and eating to excess while visiting my children and grandchildren. Plus my son came down from Alaska for the holidays, and my wife says that the two of us together are hell on wheels...

And you can see the new look. It was time -- this blog had basically the same look since I started it way back in 2005, with a few tweaks here, a couple of moderations there, and like anything else, it was getting stale. I cast around for a new template, specifically one with a three-column layout, and thanks to Webtalks, I have one.

So here we are, facing a Brave New Year, with a presidential election coming up, and a lot to do to make sure a Democrat -- any Democrat -- wins the White House in 2008.

I've had some time to reflect on this and I've made some decisions: Regardless of who the Democratic nominee is, I will support him (or her) 100%, and I will work whole-heartedly for a Democratic victory in November.

You all know by now my thoughts and reservations about Hillary Clinton, but even I will suck it up, push it down, grab my jockstrap and hump the ruck for her.

Why? Well, I can sum that up in two words: Supreme Court.

Whoever the next president is, he or she will undoubtedly have the opportunity to make at least one and probably two (or more) Supreme Court nominations.

Even a Rethug-Lite president (Hillary) would nominate jurists who are vastly and incandescently better than the nominee that any of the potential Rethug presidents will send forward. And that, in and of itself, is reason enough to work for whoever the Dem nominee is.

Yes, even Hillary.

3 Comments:

Jeff (no, the other one) said...

I believe at this late date it will be Hillary.

Edwards is my choice. But I think the media will "Dean" either one or both Edwards and Obama, clearing the path for Hillary, if need be.

Hillary will be the most-polarizing opponent possible, from the Repub. viewpoint. She wins the nom; they win the White House; that's the thinking.

Farnsworth68 said...

Hillary is a tool of the corporate-welfare crowd and her nomination will bring out millions of Rethug knuckledragging Fundo Xians to vote against her, people who would otherwise sit on their hands rather than vote for Rudy or Mitt.
That's why I believe that Rethug money is pouring into her campaign coffers like water over Niagara Falls.
I really don't want her to be the nominee, but I'm realistic enough to know that the probably has it locked up.
I don't want to campaign for her, but I will anyway.

billie said...

i like the look- and i am voting kucinich. welcome back :)