Friday, January 18, 2008

Beer and Fitness

Can it be? Is it really true?

I've been an avid beer drinker for nearly 50 years, and since I've managed to gain only a pound per year of weight -- since high school! You can do the math on that one... -- it's nagged at me over the years (as has She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed) whether that beer consumption has actually contributed to the classic "beer belly" that I seem to be protruding in front of me.

Well, it turns out that there's good news and bad news on this front. Acccording to an article over at Military.com, consuming one to two beers per day is actually healthy for you!

That's the good news. The bad news is that you have to match that calorie intake with some calorie outgo, or the beer (and everything else you consume) contributes to that "frontal assault" you carry around with you.

So I figure the glass is half full: I'm doing the two-beers-a-day regimen. Now all I have to do is figure out how to open the front door, go outside and take a walk...

5 Comments:

billie said...

somehow- that's the tough one for me too- and i don't drink beer :)

BAC said...

Yeah ... when you figure that one out, please let me know!


BAC

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. Especially because you know what you're talking about, since you're an actual veteran from an actual conflict. It's refreshing to see that not all veterans are fiercely "conservative" (don't see anything conservative about the republicans), and loyal to the supreme commander. (Kind of stupid, because exactly these people send them to different parts of the world to die for reasons other than their beloved nation and flag that they're waving 24/7. Not unlike the Germans 60 years ago...) Those dudes at Armorama.com could learn from you, for example.
I'm just an angry young dude who never had to actually fight and die, and had it relatively easy (depending your point of view... harder than a rich young dude but much easier than a poor young dude in uniform in Vietnam) -you have more credibility in these issues, that's for sure. Keep it up, please.

Anonymous said...

Love the site. Rumple of the Bailey. Maybe you can get a costofwar.com clock or check it out. Also another site you might like or not like www.foxattacks.com/vets Thank you for your service, real patriots speak up just like you.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, AR and BL. I appreciate hearing from you and I hope you'll drop back often.
--The F Man