Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Even Australia?

I've always had a special feeling for Australia, and finally two years ago I satisfied my lifelong desire to go there. After a month on the road, from Sydney to Brisbane to Broken Hill to Melbourne, I came away with the impression that I had been among the most likable, friendly and honest people that I had ever met.

I especially enjoyed the afternoon I spent at Australia's Vietnam Veterans Museum, where I was greeted as a long-lost brother by my fellow Vietnam veterans.

So it came as a surprise when I read the news that even Australia is treating its veterans like shit. See the story filed by veteran ABC (that's Australian, not our ABC) reporter Jennifer Macey for a chilling reminder that veterans all over the world have to continue fighting every day for their rights.

Australian veterans will be staging a protest on ANZAC day next week, and my only regret is that I can't be there with them to show my support. So hang in there, mates, I'll be hoisting a Victoria Bitter to you on the 25th!

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Farnsworth. My hand problems are finally resolved enough that I can blog & comment once again. I would love to go to Australia. Maybe I'll get there some day. I'm sorry to hear that even the Aussies are treating their veterans badly. I thought John Howard would do better than that.

Farnsworth68 said...

Welcome back.
When I was in Australia I talked politics to everyone I met, and to a person they all hated and some feared Baby Doc.
They weren't that happy about their own guy, either, but with a parliamentary system, it's not so easy to get rid of him.
Come to think of it, it's not so easy here, either...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Australia isn't too strong on respecting the rights of its indigenous population, either. Just like us.