Monday, March 01, 2010

My Mother Was Right: I Am a Genius!

A new study out of the prestigious London School of Economics and Political Science finds a statistical correlation between liberalism and atheism and a high IQ.

Evolutionary psychologist Satoshi Kanazawa at the the London School of Economics and Political Science correlated data on these behaviors with IQ from a large national U.S. sample and found that, on average, people who identified as liberal and atheist had higher IQs. This applied also to sexual exclusivity in men, but not in women.
It reminds me of the time a few years back when my near-genius grandson, after being hauled week after week to a fundo storefront church by his grandma (my ex-wife) since he was small, told me that he really didn't believe in god.

"Well, Skylar," I said. "Study after study has shown that the smarter you are, the less likely you are to believe in fairy tales." And then I gave him his own copy of The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

I was basically pulling the whole "study after study" thing out of my ass, but I intuitively knew it had to be right. Now I have some actual proof.

"Be sure to show that book to your grandmother," I told him. "And tell her it came from me."

"Not on your life!" came the answer from his mother, my daughter, who had apparently been eavesdropping. "You're already in enough trouble for not going to church with her!"

And she probably believes that I had some hand in his anti-conversion. And maybe she is right. I'd like to think so...

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I gave up on the hypocrite bully in the sky when I found out the world sucked too much to have a caring God and the fact that religion just causes too much bullshit rather than solving problems. The Dawkins book was a little dry and British, but did the job.

-WageslaveZ-