Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"Breaking" Obama = Chopping Off Toby's Foot

Senator Jim DeMint (R-Simon Legree) is on record saying he wants to "break" President Obama.

Okay, I'll admit that I have a bit of a personal bias when someone calls for action to "break" something, whether that is a complete person, a horse, or a recalcitrant three-fifths of a person, a/k/a a slave.

As I've mentioned before, I grew up in rural Oklahoma, which was pretty much settled by Southerners moving westward, and which in 1950 was little more than two generations removed from the actuality of human slavery. Three of my great-grandfathers were veterans of the Confederate Army.

When I was growing up we had a number of horses, and when a particular foal came of age he or she was farmed out to a professional "horse breaker" who would spend a lot of time with that horse convincing it to wear a saddle and put up with someone sitting on that saddle and telling the horse what to do, how to act, etc. This was generally done through operant conditioning which mixed punishment with reward to get the animal to do what you wanted it to do.

Operant conditioning was also at work in the plantation system in the Deep South, especially South Carolina, which DeMint represents as a US Senator. In fact the job of "slave breaker" was an honorable and rewarding position for a couple of hundred years before the Civil War.

So when someone like Jim DeMint makes a statement to the effect that he is going to "break" the first African-American president of the United States, it carries with it a certain resonance, a certain weighty amount of racist historical freight.

In short, to put it bluntly, it's code to his redneck knuckledragging "we-hate-uppity-negroes" base, the majority of whom have never accepted their loss of the "War of Yankee Aggression", that he's more than willing to chop off Toby's foot.

It's too bad that the majority of "regular" Americans can't see this -- or refuse to see it. If the SCLM/CPM* were doing its job and acting as the true "Fourth Estate" it's supposed to be, then maybe the Moron-American voting bloc would be able to see these motherfuckers for what they really are.

But, absent that, it's up to us bloggers to speak truth to power...

----------

[* SCLM/CPM = So-Called Liberal Media/Capitalist Pig Media]

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You might be right but I have a different take on DeMint and fellow Republicans. 1) I don't think he's bright enough or sufficiently educated to know much about slavery other than he wishes he had some. 2) I believe he would have said the same thing about Hillary Clinton if she were president. 3) The Republicans are all about themselves. I don't think the welfare of the nation ever crosses their minds. I believe they are stuck on "I want" and are willing to do whatever damage they can to make themselves the "winners." I am convinced it is all very personal with them. I came to this conclusion after listening fairly carefully since the 1980's. Immaturity, malice, bullying, and a peculiar inability to raise their sight and aim are what I see. Nasty. Nasty.

And, if I may so, I believe they are destroying Christianity in this country. I pretty much know the foundations of Christianity and I see the Republicans perverting and prostituting the religion for personal political gain.

Jay in N.C.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, Jay.
Your insights are always welcome, especially since you have "boots on the ground" in the former Confederacy and I believe ought to have your finger on the pulse, as it were.
You are absolutely right about the perversion of christianity. It almost makes me wish I was a Xian myself, just for that final judgment when I could see the looks on the faces of those self-described christians when they are shoveled onto that "down" escalator...

Anonymous said...

Nah, I don't have any special insight on "Southern" thinking. There are malicious, self-serving people like DeMint everywhere. I believe Arizona, Texas, Nevada, Oklahoma, Wyoming, etc., produce their share of snot; it's not confined to the South. My boys just usually spit their nastiness out with an attempt (often failed) at panache.

However, I will admit to believing there is a special, stubbornly stupid streak in the South. How else to explain why workers' unions could never get a foot hold down here? I finally decided there is a big segment of the population scared to death they might actually make a living! I guess it's some of the poor-assed Irish and Scots-Irish descendants who would lose their identity if they lived comfortably and securely.

I can say these things as I am Southern, fairly poor, and Irish, and Scots-Irish, but not stupid every moment of every day of my life - just frequently stupid.

Maybe it's the heat and humidity that intensifies certain traits - not all of them bad.