Sunday, March 28, 2010

In the Year of Our Lord

I guess, it being Sunday and all, that it's my day to post on Religion Issues...

So I get a new post on my "Spitting on Nancy Pelosi" post from way back in August of 2009:

Anonymous said...
I read the constitution, and it ends with this statement: "Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven..."
Lord? Didn't you say there was not a single mention of God? Sounds like a mention to me.
Yeah, anonymous asshole, it sure might sound like it to you, but it isn't. Not really.Here's my response to that post:
You gotta be fuckin' KIDDING me...
That's the way EVERY SINGLE official document was dated back in the day.
That was the accepted method of dating stuff. See, for example, this as well as this and this.
That does not indicate a belief in god and I'm surprised that you people can even bring that up as "proof" that the FFs believed in god.
Give me a fucking break, already.
My favorite prayer is this: Jesus, save me from your followers...

Followers who are too fucking stupid to even know what "A.D." means when it comes to dating stuff.

A.D., morons, is a shorthand acronym for the Latin "Anno Domine", which translates into "The Year of Our Lord"... It was an accepted and handy way of dating stuff for centuries, and its use no more indicates a belief in the Magical Guy in the Sky than does something like the expletive "god damn it".

You people really think that when someone swears a hearty and explosively emotional "god damn it!" when something goes wrong they are actually calling on the Xian god to literally damn something?

Actually, now that I think about it, when Baby Doc Bush called the US Constitution "just a goddamn piece of paper", he was serious about that curse... After all, he did his best to figuratively, if not literally, shred it. To damn it, as it were.

And don't let's forget, he was a guy who talked to god every day. Who wouldn't listen to advice from his own father about invading Iraq because he was answering to a "higher father".

And more chilling, he actually thought god was answering him... And told him to invade Iraq!

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, Farnsworth! Good on you.

Jay in N.C.

Anonymous said...

BTW, Farnsworth, I believe Guthrie's claim of TWO bronze stars is a lie. I'm still trying to find some confirmation of that. I would really LIKE to know his outfit and MOS during Vietnam. I thought it very noticeable that he didn't provide credentials, just the claim that he has two bronze stars. Yeah, two bronze colored stars for service that are awarded regardless of MOS and have nothing to do with combat. Take your best guess at what I think of that.

Jay in N.C.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, Jay. Always a pleasure.
When I was in Vietnam in 1968-69 it was common knowledge that all of the NCOs -- they ones that they weren't pissed at, anyway -- received Bronze Stars just for being there. It was almost laughable.
I wrote up the citations for some that made me throw up a little in my throat since the fuckers were SOOO fucking undeserving.
It's the Bronze Star with the "V" for valor that really means something. I wonder how many of those our pal Guthrie has...

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's my meaning. When one mentions the bronze star it is a given that it is the award for valor. Otherwise, why mention it?

I'm pretty sure that this fecalith was in Vietnam after he graduated law school and I'm thinking he probably was assigned to the JAG office. I would bet more than I can afford to lose that he was NOT in a rifle company.


Some Viet Vet is also trying to find confirmation of bronze stars for valor and has come up empty so far. As well as he can determine, 69 (for valor) were awarded in Vietnam and Guthrie's name is NOT on the list.

Of course, Guthrie being a lawyer, he didn't say the TWO bronze stars were for VALOR but it was certainly IMPLIED. We've all run into his type.

As fewer and fewer of our citizens have military service of any description, it is easier and easier to deceive people about military service. The bill that is coming due on this will be huge and destructive. Just my opinion.

Jay in N.C.

Farnsworth68 said...

Wow, only 69 "V" awards? In a way it makes sense, I guess, since the Bronze Star is the second-lowest in status medal (the Army Commendation Medal being at the bottom). Anyone who exhibited the kind of heroism and valor that would lead to a medal would get the Silver Star.
Drop by the original post on the Pelosi Page -- I have a new "fan", the guy who pointed out the "year of our lord" thing. He calls me an "asshole".
I asked him which part of "pissed off" that he didn't get.

Anonymous said...

The vet's posting that only 69 bronze stars for valor were awarded in Vietnam struck me as strange and I've been thinking about it off and on for about six weeks. That war went on for bloody ever! My father was there as an adviser and it was still going on to catch both of my brothers. Long damned time.

Anyway, the best I could tell from searching the internet, something I'm not especially good at, is that there was more likely 6,000+ bronze stars for valor awarded during Vietnam. I have to say that makes more sense. Still say that Guthrie did not get one of them, much less two.

Jay in N.C.

Anonymous said...

The Founding Fathers only used the anitquated Xian dating claptrap because EVERYONE used it without a second during and after the Renaissance and Age of Enlightenment because cultural conventions become old hat and are taken for granted. Americans don't even know where half their cliches and euphemisms come from for crying out loud, yet the brainless ones claim to know God's exact iteration of everything in the bible. Isn't that up to I don't know, God?

-WageslaveZ-

Farnsworth68 said...

It doesn't end. I just saw a letter to my local paper wherein the writer claimed that 52 out of 55 of the FFs were the equivalent of born-again Xians.
I'd fire off a broadside to the paper, but I think everyone is tired of seeing me appear. Besides I prefer blogging. You don't have to wait a month between opinions and there's no word limit.