Tuesday, January 10, 2012

RUFKM???

I just ran across this commercial:




From the look of it, I would have guessed it was something out of the 1940s. It's as if someone asked, "How many negative stereotypes about Black people can we jam into 40 seconds?" and then went ahead and did it.

It surprised me to learn that this was actually an advert from the 1980s! Granted, it is from the UK, whose racist attitudes have always been much more upfront, more in your grille, than Americans, but still...

I am sorely tempted to add my own soundtrack in which I imitate the leading Rethug presidential contenders talking about those uppity Negroes.

I'm tempted, but as everyone knows, I am also lazy. I'll leave it up to someone else to do it...

4 Comments:

Analyst said...

"Granted, it is from the UK ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia-Ora

Yeah, the Brits say some stuff that makes you cringe. Not so politically correct there.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, A. They are pretty blatant about it. I was actually shocked to hear some of the stuff that came out of their mouths when I was there on holiday twice.
--The F Man

Anonymous said...

I hate to laugh, but those characters look an awful lot like Ralph Bakshi's "Jim-Crow" black characatures from "Fritz the Cat". Anyone with taste in cult films or who was born before Kennedy was in office should know what I'm talking about. Glad you're back F-Man.

-WageslaveZ-

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks WS. I also thought about that when I saw it, but the crows were way cooler in Fritz the Cat -- see some video excerpts on YouTube before SOPA bombs it into the stone age...
--The F Man