Monday, January 02, 2012

A Death in the Family



Posting has been light since before Xmas and here's one of the reasons why. Long time readers of this blog know that I used to have a regular feature called Friday Cat Blogging, back when the cats were younger and still willing to pose for cute photos. A couple of weeks before Xmas the oldest cat, Lucy (that's her on the left), came down with some illness that she found impossible to shake, even after numerous trips to the vet; she had also developled some rare kind of feline diabetes. Finally, on Xmas Day, she was vocally in obvious distress, her temperature was dropping almost exponentially and we decided that it was finally time that she Walk the Green Mile. So we took her to the emergency animal clinic and she was put peacefully to "sleep", lying in my arms and trying to purr.

"It was just a cat", people might say. Well, she might have been a cat, but she wasn't "just" a cat. We had her in our lives for 14 years, since she was an eight-week kitten, and she provided a joy and happiness to us that was way beyond being "just a cat". I had a special bond with her that I hadn't had with any of the other animals with whom I've shared my life over the last 66 years, and she is dearly missed.

And now we are dealing with Dottie (on the right), our sole remaining pet, now an only child, who has been poking around the house to try to find where Lucy is hiding.

She will -- and we will -- eventually get over the loss, but right now there is a hole in our hearts where Lucy used to be.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

this makes me sad

Sarge said...

Vet,
I am sorry for your loss. Get yourself to a animal shelter and rescue another black cat.

No tribute to that fine feline departed would be more warranted.

Bests,


Sarge

Elizabeth said...

Oh Dennis, I too had to put down a very special cat just before Christmas. She was on my lap and died very peacefully; wish I could say the same for us. We brought her home to bury her, I haven't been able to bring myself to visit her resting site.
What's worse is we had to put down our 14 y.o. dog on Thanksgiving morning. Shit not a great holiday season for us.
I know all the platitudes but they don't really help; nothing fills the hole but time.
Strange, I have another friend who has had to do the same thing. Glad t he year is over....

The Future Was Yesterday said...

"It was just a cat"

Bull. She was every bit a family member as much as you are. A single loss hits hard - very hard. Behind the grief, know that you were owned by the best.

Anonymous said...

As an accidental sponsor of 3 black cats (also one grey tabby) your pictures made me quail. (That could be one of mine.) It is hard to lose our furry friends. We know when we hold the little 8-wk old kitten and let it into our hearts that, in all likelihood, we will see them die. You are now paying the price for those 14 wonderful years of purrs that touched you so deeply. You will recover from your grief and it WAS a good deal you signed up for 14 years ago.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

B

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and your understanding.
--The F Man

Anthony Pitman said...

Sorry for the loss. They become like members of the family after time. Clicking on the link for cat blogging I noticed you said Kerouac changed your life. Same here but didn't discover him until I was 20 in 1980. Then had to spend the next five yrs on the road. Ah the good old days. Much substance abuse and Reagan hadn't ruined it yet.

of10rot10 said...

Cat, dog, horse, it maters not. That baby IS a member of the family and the grief is just the same.

I am so very sorry that you have lost a member of your family.

of10rot10 said...

Cat, dog, horse, it matters not that baby was a member of your family. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks AP and of10. We are getting over our grief, slowly but surely. The next step is to adopt a couple of young kittens from the same litter (one kitten will be too much for Dottie to take; two kittens will entertain each other and Dottie can be the Queen that she is destined to be).
My oldest friend from high school and I were talking about Kerouac just recently, and we both agreed that we would have been much better off had we not discovered On the Road when we did, circa 1961. It definitely sent us down the wrong road, so to speak...
-- The F Man