Thursday, June 19, 2008

Even More on "Feminists for McCain"

I hate to keep harping on the same subject, to the point where I'm starting to sound like a broken record (note to readers who don't know what this means: Ask your parents...), but it's the story that won't go away.

Katha Pollitt over a The Nation has an incisive take on the phenomenon that is definitely worth a read:

Are there feminist Hillary supporters who hate Obama so much they'll vote for McCain just to show the Democratic Party how ticked off they are? Yes, and I get e-mails from all five of them. Seriously, I'm sure there are female Hillary Clinton voters who will go for John McCain in the general election, but I don't think too many of them will be feminists. Because to vote for McCain, a feminist would have to be insane. Let me rephrase that: she would have to believe that the chief--indeed the only--goal of the women's movement is to elect Clinton, not to promote women's rights. A vote for McCain would be the ultimate face-spiting nose-cutoff. Take that, women's equality!
Check it out and you'll see, more eloquently, in more detail and with more authority, my argument against feminists voting for McCain.

1 Comment:

Kira said...

I consider myself a feminist and I definitely agree that feminists for McCain are absolutely insane!

How much sense does it make to vote for someone whose platform completely clashes with yours JUST to prove a moot point?!

It's women like these who give feminists a bad name.