Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The Religious Right: They Just Don't Get It

I got another email from my wackjob wingnut religious freak cousin this morning. Strangely, I find myself actually, in a weird car-wreck-on-the-freeway kind of way, looking forward to seeing them.

This one claims (falsely of course) that an NBC poll is absolute proof that 86% percent believe in keeping god in the American culture and the rest of us don't count for shit:

I'll bet this was a surprise to NBC....
NBC POLL
Do you believe that the word God should stay in American culture?
NBC this morning had a poll on this question. They had the highest Number of responses that they have ever had for one of their polls, and the Percentage was the same as this:
86% to keep the words, IN God We Trust and God in the Pledge of Allegiance
14% against
That is a pretty 'commanding' public response.
I was asked to send this on if I agreed or delete if I didn't ..
Now it is your turn. It is said that 86% of Americans believe the word God should stay.........
Therefore, I have a very hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having 'In God We Trust' on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance.
Why is the world catering to this 14%?
AMEN!
If you agree, pass this on , if not, simply delete.
In God We Trust
And, if that weren't enough, it was accompanied by a painting of the Lamb of God looking a lot like, of all people, Brad Pitt! Needless to say, I didn't actually pass this on. Except to all of you by posting it here.

Oddly enough, these are the same people who would say, if you put it to them in a way they could understand, that the United States is not a democracy because of the danger of "mob rule". You know, like your mother used to say, "if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?"

They just can't stand the thought of anyone who thinks differently from them having any rights at all. This is the mindset that will gladly usher in a millennium of dictatorial theocracy -- just as long as the right god is being worshipped.

Can you say Dominionism? I knew that you could...

2 Comments:

nunya said...

I just talked to my friend who registers voters and the kids want to overturn prop 8 in CA.

Labrys said...

Oh, those crazy Dominionists....just one reason I send money to Mikey Weinstein every month. I wish we could go back to the days when religion was in a category with being naked in public. I stand by a friend's quotation: “Religion is an insult to human dignity.
With or without it, you’d have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things,
but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”(Steve Weinberg)