Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Whew, Am I Glad That's Over!

I just got back from my"full meal deal" colonoscopy. I'd been putting it off for years, and the acrimony starting getting bitter from the Better Half, the retired nurse who goes by She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed. So after my good friend BAC over at Yikes! not only put herself through it, but also described it in excrutiatingly precise detail on her blog, I finally decided to bite the bullet and do it myself.

And like most things of this nature, the anticipation was SO much worse than the event itself (aside from having to choke down that nasty liquid plumber stuff the day before and spending about six hours on the toilet, of course)

The procedure itself was totally painless except for the insertion of the IV, and once the good drugs started coursing through me I was ready. They wheeled me in, rolled me on my side and before I even got a chance to say, "Is it in yet?" it was over.

So bottom line (ha ha), the doc found and excised four polyps that appear to be benign (won't know for sure until the results are back from the lab, but he didn't act very exercised about them -- very unlike the dermatologist who first saw my melanoma; I thought he was going to shit a brick...) and I was home and taking a nap in less than an hour.

So everyone, have a great Thanksgiving. I'll be back before you know it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear it was nothing! It should always be like that - I wish you years of many more messages just like that! :)

Alicia Morgan said...

Happy T-Day, POV! And I'm glad you did the thang. I had to pester my husband to do it a while back, and I'm sure it will be on my horizon in a few years...here's to staying healthy.

BAC said...

Loved the good news ... and I am so proud of you! I was thinking about you on Tues and Wed, hoping everything would come out alright ... all puns intended!

Hopefully others will be inspired by your post and do the same!


BAC

Being Peace said...

Oh golly! I'm having my first one on 12/3. It is one of many tests I get to have in preparation for a kidney transplant. Oh joy!

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, AM. I actually found the time to read your book when I was just "sitting around", so look for a review of it in the near future. And I promise that my "shitty outlook" will not stain my review, so to speak.

Thanks, BAC. Actually, there was nothing to it (looking back in retrospect is great, isn't it?). Now I have to wait for the results and the news as to when I need to return for another one.

Thanks BP. As I said, the anticipation was much worse than the event itself. So am I to assume that you got your kidney finally? If so, that's terrific news!

--The F Man