Thursday, November 12, 2009

I'm Back!!

I'm back from my annual trip to the Americans United for Separation of Church and State meeting in DC. It was great to see many of my old blog buddies, including Fran of There Will Be Bread , Doctor Z, Beth of Yikes!, Tim of Jesus General (where, if you look closely, you can see a picture of me...) and especially my friend Alicia Morgan of Last Left Turn Before Hooterville, who was this year's recipient of the annual -- and prestigious -- AU "Postie" Award for the best blog against theocracy.

So Alicia -- you go, girlfriend!. Now my goal for this year is to be next recipient of the award, but as a cursory examination of any of the Bloggers Against Theocracy blogs in the right column will show, it's a tough field to compete in.

I even had the opportunity to do some lobbying with my two senators, Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell, over the issue of school vouchers in the DC school system. Not with the senators themselves, of course, but with their staff. And I learned that senators can't pick their neighbors -- directly across the hall from Patty Murray's office was the office of Tom Coburn (R-Idiot).

Anyway, after a lo-o-o-o-ong cross-country flight from Washington DC to Seattle by way of Charlotte NC(!) sitting directly in front of a screaming baby who squalled for three of the five+ hours we were in the air (he even got around my iPod's in-the-ear headphones with the volume turned all the way up; I was listening to opera, on the theory that if I had to listen to screaming, at least it would be set to music...) I got home about midnight Tuesday, only to have to turn around and go back to the airport the next day to pick up my son who flew in from Alaska.

So I'm still in recovery, but I'll be back full time in a few days.

As always, thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

Fran said...

I am late to this but came by to read your blog and as I paged down I saw m own name!

It was great to see you and for what it is worth... As I read the posts above this one, I was thinking that you would be an excellent recipient of the Postie.

Just sayin'!

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, Fran -- I know that I count on your vote.
Not that they actually vote for these. At least I don't think so... Now that I think about it, I really don't know exactly how the recipients are selected...
Great seeing you too in DC, and I'm already looking forward to next year.
--The F Man

Fran said...

Heheheh! Voting! A Democracy! I like that. OPOV 4 Postie '10!

On a more serious note, I don't know if you know this blogger, Being Peace. Her name is really Roseann. You are on her blogroll. She is dying, any day now actually.

She is most remarkable and is headed towards her death with more presence and peace than most of know on any day of our life.

Anyhow, I just always see your updates over there. She is not posting now but we all go by to see what's up.

I thought you'd like to know that you are on her blogroll. She will be gone soon and I will miss her so very much.

Farnsworth68 said...

Fran-- Thanks for the update on Being Peace. I just dropped by and signed her last post.
As I said there, I can only hope that I will be able to take my own passing with the tremendous courage and grace that she is showing.