Monday, June 26, 2006

Flag Burning Amendment -- A Call to Action

Regular readers of this blog know how I feel about a so-called "flag desecration" amendment.

You also must know that this ugly issue has raised its head once again -- it is an election year, after all -- so the US Senate has scheduled a vote on this piece of shit, a vote which could come as soon as today.

Please contact your senator and tell him or her to vote AGAINST this travesty of a bill -- Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121.

This is a solution in search of a problem. Lets not amend the constitution to restrict individual liberties. The last time that happened we got Prohibition, and look at the problems that little experiment caused.

BTW, I am proud to be a member of Veterans Defending the Bill of Rights -- see their website for more information on this important issue.

3 Comments:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

This "problem" has amused me for years. The people who wouldn't burn the flag, are unaffected by any amendment. Those so inclined to burn the flag.....could give a shit less. They are going to torch it, amendment or no amendment. In fact, passing an amendment would probably increase flag burning i.e. "I'll show them." It's gun control all over again. The only people that break the laws aren't going to suddenly quit because we passed a law.

The real problem isn't pro-con flag burning. It's the G.D. Democrats that sit on their bought off fat asses and "debate" this thing time after time, instead of getting up and walking out of both chambers until shit like gay marriage, flag burning, all the wedge issues, are buried for good. As I type, Democrats are working to craft a bill that will make Bush's wiretaps legal!! Talk about covering his ass!

We have a much bigger problem than any of these "issues." Our problem is the assholes that we think are on our side. They are not - and ALL need to be dumped.

Farnsworth68 said...

I agree that the Dems tend to be a bunch of "girly-men" who are so busy trying not to look confrontational that they end up just giving elections away.
I was so pissed at Kerry -- but even more at his idiotic advisors -- when he refused to fight back against the Swift Boat Liars for Bush.
But we still have just two viable political parties in this country, and while a third party is an attractive proposition, I am 61 years old and I just don't have the time to try to build a new progressive party from scratch. If I were 30 years younger and faced with the travesty that has become American politics, I might entertain the notion, but at this point I am realistic enough to recognize that come November, there will be only one of two candidates elected to office in the vast majority of congressional districts and in all 1/3 of the senate that is up for grabs.
And I want that party to be the Democratic Party. Once they are in office and in power, THEN we can start holding their feet to the fire and start back on the path of progressive politics.
Starting with the impeachment of the whole goddam sorry lot of the BFEE.

Spadoman said...

My oldest daughter, now deceased, once told me this:
"Dad, the only reason I don't burn the flag is because I can."