Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Towel Day

Every May 25th is celebrated as Towel Day. Those of us "in the know" carry a towel around with us all day.

WTF??? I can hear those of you not "in the know" saying.

Okay, the 25th of May, Towel Day, is the day that the late author Douglas Adams' many fans around the world carry a towel in his honor.

Adams, as you may not know, was the author of the sci-fi series of books (and television shows) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which ultimately became an increasingly-misnamed trilogy of five books.

Adams died in 2001 at the age of 49, much too young. Who knows what other works of monumental genius would have sprung forth from his ingenious mind had he lived?

Remember: "42"... and don't panic.

7 Comments:

oly8er4dem said...

Hey how about a shout out to the person you got this information from? Or am I just being a bitch asking for the shout since you already knew? Love you, love your blog.

Farnsworth68 said...

Okay, you busted me, Elizabeth. Thanks to the magic of the Internets, she knows that I got the idea from her.
Many thanks to you for the link and the heads up on Towel Day.
--The F Man

Labrys said...

LOL, ahem, I am not carrying a towel, altho' I do have a favorite Doug Adams book. My fav include Dirk Gently and the Holistic Detective Agency. I even have my own Electric Monk costume that I wear daily...so I think I can skip the towel.

Katy said...

I don't know what is weirder - this towel day thing or the fact that my kids took towels with them to school for it. I guess I have weird kids. LOL

Farnsworth68 said...

L, as long as you have the electric monk outfit, you can skip the towel. I happen to love the Dirk Gently, too.
Katy -- if you're thinking they'll grow out of it, don't hold your breath...I'm 65 and have yet to grow up.
--The F Man

labrys said...

LOL..good to know, although I need to WASH towels. This link shows me wearing my monk suit: http://walk-of-the-fallen.dreamwidth.org/171383.html

There, see, I'm electric!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wish I could figure out a power source from a cup of tea or an argument over the check at a bistro. I'd be the richest man alive. Douglas Adams was the Rick Wright of Sci-Fi, there's no way in hell you could replace him.

-WageslaveZ-