Tuesday, May 18, 2010

And Speaking of Mt St Helens...

... my "hometown" newspaper, the Longview Daily News, has a terrific interactive Mt St Helens website, which you can explore here.

For those who don't know -- which means pretty much all of you -- the Daily News won a Pulitzer Prize for its coverage of the disaster.

Pretty good for a small-city family-owned (at the time) newspaper. And frankly, Longview doesn't have a lot in the way of things to engender civic pride (aside, of course, from the Nutty Narrows Squirrel Bridge), so they can rightfully be proud of this accomplishment.

6 Comments:

Labrys said...

So, is Longview braced for the hundreds of motorcyclists who are supposed to head for St. Helens this weekend? We considered riding down, ourselves (Howdy, Neighbor...I'm up by Rainier), but the Man got the last-minute-business- trip-blues.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, L. I'm actually farther north, in Olympia now, but I misspent a good part of my youth in Longview. Or are you talking about Rainier, WA?
You had another post on another topic but Blogger burped as I was trying to post it and is vanished into the ether.
-- The F Man

Labrys said...

No, just near Mt. Rainier...wee place called Graham. Well, wee infrastructure, tons of people.

And ah, the sweet non-smell of internet ether devouring things...

Farnsworth68 said...

Jeez, we are practically neighbors! I've been thinking for a while about a convention of Pacific Northwest progressive bloggers, but I don't quite know how to pull it off. Any ideas, please feel free to write me at farnsworth68ATyahoo.com.
-- The F Man

Anonymous said...

I have no idea how to gather NW bloggers, and there are some dandy writers I keep on my own blogroll at the WOTF. Oh, tried email...your email does not believe that google mail is "real"...ah, technology.

Farnsworth68 said...

Jeez... Okay, try farnsworth68ATgmail.com. That ought to pass through their filter.