Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Guilty Pleasure Destroying Civilization

Okay, I'll admit it up front. I take a guilty pleasure in occasionally watching The Jerry Springer Show. It's not something I can take on a regular basis, but whenever I'm feeling down and weepy about my own personal situation, there's nothing like tuning in and watching an hour filled with people who are seriously fucked up. All of a sudden my little problems don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world*.

So it's with some not inconsiderable interest that I note that Jerry Springer himself admits that his show is destroying civilization:

Television host Jerry Springer on Friday described his own show as “an hour of escapism” with “no redeeming social value.”
“Look, my show is stupid,” he admitted during an interview with HuffPost Live host Alyona Minkovski. “It’s stupid, but it’s fun to do. I enjoy it. People obviously like it, otherwise they wouldn’t watch it.”
For his show, Springer interviews guests embroiled in every sort of scandalous and bizarre drama, from those cheating on their spouses to those involved in incestuous relationships. He insisted everything on The Jerry Springer Show was real, not staged or scripted.
Springer said that by paving the way for other reality TV shows, he had become “the father of the destruction of Western civilization.”
---
[* Humphrey Bogart to Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca: "Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that ... Here's looking at you kid."]

0 Comments: