Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is it Time to Stop Wallowing in 9-11?

Okay, I admit that we as a species -- and as a citizenry -- like to commemorate stuff at what we think of as significant intervals. Ten years is a big deal to us, so I am willing to cut the media some slack when they are put stuff on the air to mark the ten year anniversary of the attacks on 9-11.

But enough is enough. You can hardly find a channel that isn't doing something to mark the date. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that the Cartoon Network had some kind of special about it.

Mark Karlin over at Buzzflash has an excellent editorial today, It's Long Past Time to Get Over 9-11, and don't forget to check out Connsortium News' A 9-11 What if to see a great analysis of what could have happened if we had not had a trigger happy gunslinger-of-evil at the top of the heap (Darth Cheney) and a rootin' tootin' cowboy moron as his ventriloquist-dummy stooge (Baby Doc Bush).

A few years back one of my Republican friends (back when I still had some--they've all either awakened to the light and become liberals or have shunned me as the anathema that I am...) allowed as to how glad he was that Bush was president instead of Gore when 9-11 happened.

I told him that if Gore had been president, 9-11 wouldn't have happened. He didn't like that very much, but I believe it to be true. Or if it did happen, the response would have been very different. For one thing, I don't think we'd be under the fascist thumb of the Homeland Security Act, we wouldn't be bogged down in unwinnable wars in the Middle East, and the economy would be in much better shape.

6 Comments:

Nameless Cynic said...

Good god, yes. It's past time.

Marc McDonald said...

Good piece. I also saw the Buzzflash commentary, which I fully agree with. I plan on checking out the Chomsky book that that article references, it sounds like a worthwhile read.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks guys.
--The F Man

SuLee said...

I agree that it's high time to be done with it. I'm not quite sure how to say this, but here goes....

How are people who lost someone that day suppose to heal and move on with their lives when every year they are reminded over and over and over again what happened, shown graphic images, etc. on every conceivable TV channel?

I would hope that after 10 years, we're done commemorating that terrible day.

Anthony Pitman said...

I had to just get out yesterday because tv was such a downer. Was a nice day to just get out and appreciate being between sod and sky. BTW glad to see you back Farsworth.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks AP. It was a beautiful end-of-summer day here as well. No need to sit around the house moping. There are rides in the country in my open jeep, swimming at the old swimmin' hole, and BBQ hamburgers.
Now it's clouded over, it's gonna rain, and we're headed into our annual nine months of dreary rain...
--The F Man