Thursday, October 28, 2010

Meeting Patty Murray

One of the great things about volunteering at your local election HQ is that you never know who is going to drop by:

Farnsworth with Patty Murray

As much as I don't want to admit that I look like that (that's me on the right--duh!) the fact remains that I am 65 years old and finally ought to start looking like it -- even if I don't act like it!

Patty Murray, senior senator from the State of Washington, dropped by the Thurston County Demo HQ to thank her volunteers for all of their (our) hard work calling recalcitrant voters to nudge them into sending in that missing ballot (in every county in Washington State, except one, we have "vote by mail").

A lot of those last-minute voters are getting pissed off about all the calls.

The easy answer: "Just send in your fucking ballot, you lazy motherfucker!"

Of course I'm not allowed to say that. Instead I read off a campaign-approved voter-friendly script. But at this point in the game, these sluggards have had about ten phone calls, and now I'm prefacing my spiel with something of an apology for bugging them endlessly.

Still, it's something that has to be done, since as I've said before, the more people that vote, the more the aggregate vote for progressive candidates and issues will increase.

The Rethugs really don't want people to vote. At least not the wrong people...

1 Comment:

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, M. I'd be glad to trade links with you, but I don't yet see the link to One Pissed Off Veteran on your site.
--The F Man