Monday, May 02, 2011

Weak Symbolism at Best

So the Internets are all atwitter over the death of Osama Bin Laden.

Big deal.

It would have been a lot bigger deal if he'd been caught and wasted some time in the first year of the War on Terratm, but now, ten years in, it's like he's an afterthought. As Baby Doc once said, "I truly don't think about him all that much." Now his death is just geopolitical symbolism, and not much of it at that.

People are still being killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, we still have two ill-advised and illegal wars going on, with no end in sight, the policies of the Obama Administration are, by and large, despite what you'll hear from the wingnuttery, not so much different from those of the Baby Doc Bush Maladministration: still at war, the spying on Americans has gone on unabated, Guantanamo still open... etc etc.

So you'll pardon me if I don't share in the giddy excitement over the death of Osama Bin Laden. The only thing it will mean to me is that I'll have to scrape my bumpersticker off, the one with the picture of Osama and the slogan, "I'm still free. What about you?"

Extra work for me. And that's about it.

0 Comments: