Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Postcards from Idiot America

I missed this when it first came out way back in Nov 2005, but Charles P. Pierce has a story over at Esquire called Greetings from Idiot America. It's worth checking out, just to see how totally fucked-up-nutsy a good portion of this nation really is.

You know, the ones who believe that the creation story in Genesis is historical fact, that there were dinosaurs on Noah's Ark, and who flock to something called The Creation Museum in rural Ohio to view a pre-fall Adam who is biblically-correct naked, but seems to be lacking something important -- a penis.

Check it out. It's scary and funny at the same time.

And these people not only walk among us, but they are trying to make our schools teach this shit.

The answer: Get involved with your local school board. Attend their meetings, look at their agendas, and when it comes time to vote for school board candidates, hold their feet to the fire and demand that they not infuse religious dogma into our public school children.

Hell, if that's what it takes, run for the school board yourself. A lot of stellar political careers started at local school board elections. If it weren't for some prominent skeletons in my own closet, I'd have a political career of my own, and running for the school board would be a great place to start.

5 Comments:

billie said...

i suppose asking you to share those 'prominent skeletons' is out of the question :) how's the hand these days? looks like you are in fine form :)

nunya said...

Mmmm, skeletons here too. I tried to get through the article, but I just couldn't.

Farnsworth68 said...

Well, the skeletons aren't all THAT juicy, but they are sufficient to derail any political career I might want.
Unless I want to become a Republican. Every bad thing you ever did in your past, up until age 50 or so, were just "youthful indiscretions" and they won't hold it against you.
Actually, you can always read my book to get the inside dope on some of them.

Chuck said...

screw the skeletons...the fundies tried this back in the late '80's and early 90's...under the direction of the goofy Pat Robertson. I got so pissed that I ran for school board. Although I did get the support of the teachers and parents of science students, (I'm like a science guy), I lost the election. However, I had the distinct pleasure of reaming the asshole of the fundie candidate by making him 'fess up to the bullshit he actually believed. You see, they try to couch their true agenda in harmless-sounding terms. Go after 'em. Rip 'em a new asshole. It's fun.

NetAgra said...

Greetings,
Our local school board hasn't been too hard on the things lurking in people's closets. Several people I've known for years have served and done well even with a past history skeleton building.

The town is small enough that we tend to share items in the closet.
NetAgra