Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Post Surgery Update

Today marks one week since my surgery, so it's time for another update.

I've been in constant moderate-to-severe pain for one week now, much more than I expected to have. So I asked the doctor about it and he said that I'd had four separate surgical procedures in one session on the table (i.e., straightening a deviated septum, radio-wave shrinkage of nasal turbinates, surgical removal of the uvula and most of the soft palate, and radio-wave shrinkage of excess tissue at the base of my tongue) -- each of those procedures, by itself, causes extreme pain. I got the full meal deal, so it's no fucking wonder I haven't bounced back the way I thought I would.

But today I finally have the nudging thought that I might eventually be able to rejoin the world of the living. I can swallow pills now (no more trying to choke down that nasty awful throat-burning nose-squirting oxy-codone-in-suspension semi-liquid syrup every three hours), and I'm starting to get the beginnings of an appetite back. I've been living -- if you can call it that -- on one piece of milk toast, one Slimfast shake, and two popsicles a day since last Wednesday. And I still can't talk out loud because of the pain. The pills manage to take the worst edges off, but the pain is still there.

On the positive side, I have lost over 10 pounds, but it is not a diet I would recommend.

I'm hoping to be back to my old self by Monday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon.

Neil Cameron (One Salient Oversight) said...

The great bit about surgery on the deviated septum is when they take the bandage out of your nose.

I remember thinking "How the heck did they fit so much bandage in there?"

Anonymous said...

Man, it sounds like you got the whole enchilada. Hope you start feeling better.

Hope it helps with the OSA thing.