Monday, March 30, 2015

Monday Music Break: La Donna È Mobile

Here is the incomparable Luciano Pavarotti with the most famous aria from Rogoletto by Giuseppi Verdi,  "La Donna È Mobile":



Yes, in stark collision with all that I outwardly portray, I am actually an opera buff! I can't count the number of people who have known me for a while -- sometimes quite a while -- and yet are surprised when they learn that.

She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and I had the equivalent of "season tickets" to the Seattle Opera for many years until "other priorities" militated against renewing them. Still, we try to catch one or two operas a year at McCaw Hall.

You will no doubt recognize this song. It has been used, to various effect, in a ton of movies, but the best cinema use of it, IMHO, was in the fight scene between good-guy Frank Castle and "The Russian" in 2004's The Punisher.

See also La Donna È Mobile on the Arias Database.

0 Comments: