Sunday, September 27, 2009

Poe's Law

Sometimes you see something that is so obvious, so naturally right-on, that you end up scratching your head in wonder that you've never heard of it before.

This morning I stumbled on a terrific new (to me) blog The Bay of Fundie, Keeping the Radical Right at Bay, where I discovered this little gem:

Serious fundie watchers are familiar with Poe’s Law. But like any concept that is mostly internet based, you may encounter it many times before finally finding out what it is.
...
[Quoting from the Urban Dictionary] “Similar to Murphy’s Law, Poe’s Law concerns internet debates, particularly regarding religion or politics.
'Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won’t mistake for the real thing.'
In other words, No matter how bizarre, outrageous, or just plain idiotic a parody of a Fundamentalist may seem, there will always be someone who cannot tell that it is a parody, having seen similar REAL ideas from real religious/political Fundamentalists.[emphasis added]
I bolded that last phrase, because that’s an important part. Another way of phrasing this is to say that some fundies are so absurd as to be self parodies.
We need that perspective on the definition to truly appreciate the almost Poe-worthy description over at Conservapedia. As we all know, Conservapedia is so ridiculous that it frequently is a self parody.

Be sure to scroll down the page to read the Conservapedia quotation and look at the hilarious comic panels.

I confess to a certain degree of personal chagrin when I consider that up to this point I was unfamiliar with Poe's Law, given how much I like to rail against the Religious Right.

Great stuff, and thanks to Ron Britton, the blog owner, for providing it. I'll be adding the site to my blogroll and reading it regularly.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

My fellow blogger, Gadfly, also blogs on The Future Was Yesterday as a team member of blog owner, Dan'l. They share my disapproval of Fundies, their cultish beliefs, their intrusion into politics and government, their agenda and goals. Gadfly and Daniel are rather more blunt speaking than I am but I must say I agree with them on most matters.

Thank you for paying IAB a visit and commenting, but a special THANK YOU for your service. My younger brother spent two tods in Vietnam and once was shot down. Even though I strongly disapprove of most of the wars in which our
nation has engaged, I support and appreciate even more strongly our men and women who serve(d) in them.
I have two war blogs,"Sacrificed for Empire" and "This is War". No one reads them and I am remiss in keeping them current. Even though I occasionally publish posts critical of SOME of the actions taken by SOME our troops (really, the ORDERS that sent them there), I ALWAYS support our troops.

Unknown said...

One of my favorite videos.

http://www.beforeyougo.us/play_byg_vn