Monday, May 19, 2008

Beating Ted Danson

I can now crow that I beat Ted Danson in the ratings.

Here's how it happened: On Saturday I gave a speech in support of Barack Obama at my congressional district caucus. The setup was that one person would give a speech attempting to persuade the Clinton delegates to switch to Obama, and another person would do the same for the Obama delegates.

It wasn't until I actually showed up at the caucus that I learned that I would be up against Ted Danson for Clinton. Talk about bringing in a Big Gun!

In the event, however, it turned out that good old Ted never showed up. He was apparently scheduled to appear at several district caucuses that day, and I guess the mostly rural and yet solidly Obama Third District wasn't important enough for a big-time celebrity to appear at. So I gave my speech and a Clinton supporter threw together his own ineffective presentation. Fortunately, it wasn't enough to sway any Obama delegates -- but on the other hand, neither was my own dynamic oratory.

Except for this: Dwight Pelz, the top Democrat in this state, was there on Saturday, and on Sunday he came out in support of ... Barack Obama.

I feel pretty good about that.

Even though I'm pretty sure that he'd left the caucus by the time I spoke... but hey, let me have my dreams, okay?

But I still beat Ted Danson in the ratings. It's not my fault that he didn't bother to show up...

3 Comments:

mrln said...

Ted heard you were speaking and didn't have the cojones to show up!

Farnsworth68 said...

LOL!!! Yeah, that's it!
Are you up for a meetup in NYC in November? Jae, the Jersey Girl, is down with it. See this post.
--The F Man

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Well done sir.