Monday, May 19, 2008

Beating Ted Danson

I can now crow that I beat Ted Danson in the ratings.

Here's how it happened: On Saturday I gave a speech in support of Barack Obama at my congressional district caucus. The setup was that one person would give a speech attempting to persuade the Clinton delegates to switch to Obama, and another person would do the same for the Obama delegates.

It wasn't until I actually showed up at the caucus that I learned that I would be up against Ted Danson for Clinton. Talk about bringing in a Big Gun!

In the event, however, it turned out that good old Ted never showed up. He was apparently scheduled to appear at several district caucuses that day, and I guess the mostly rural and yet solidly Obama Third District wasn't important enough for a big-time celebrity to appear at. So I gave my speech and a Clinton supporter threw together his own ineffective presentation. Fortunately, it wasn't enough to sway any Obama delegates -- but on the other hand, neither was my own dynamic oratory.

Except for this: Dwight Pelz, the top Democrat in this state, was there on Saturday, and on Sunday he came out in support of ... Barack Obama.

I feel pretty good about that.

Even though I'm pretty sure that he'd left the caucus by the time I spoke... but hey, let me have my dreams, okay?

But I still beat Ted Danson in the ratings. It's not my fault that he didn't bother to show up...


mrln said...

Ted heard you were speaking and didn't have the cojones to show up!

Farnsworth68 said...

LOL!!! Yeah, that's it!
Are you up for a meetup in NYC in November? Jae, the Jersey Girl, is down with it. See this post.
--The F Man

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Well done sir.