Sunday, December 17, 2006

Better Living Through Electricity

We finally have our electricity on, after days of cold and darkness following the big windstorm of 2006.

On Thursday evening, at the height of the windstorm, our power went off, but I still managed to make it to work on Friday. Only a skeleton crew actually showed up, though, so we sat around and yakked like college students in a dorm bull session, and then midmorning I went out on a food run to the only fast food place in town that was open, Jack in the Box, where I sat in the drive-up window line for nearly 45 minutes to get a sackful of delicious breakfasts of sausage-on-a-croissant.

So I spent a nice warm day at the office while She Who Must Be Obeyed was sitting at home, freezing her ass off and getting more and more disgruntled.

When I finally rolled in around 4:00 in the afternoon, she was more than a little surly, not to mention negative and bitter.

"What's up?" I said, casually tossing my hat and scarf onto the footstool. I really should have known from the look on her face that she had not had a good day.

"You want to know 'what's up'?" she hissed. "I've been here freezing to death while you've been sitting around your nice warm office drinking coffee and eating croissants."

"And surfing the Internets," I said. "But this isn't so bad. Think of it as an adventure, like winter camping. What's for supper?"

"I don't DO winter camping!" she screamed, smashing a lit Coleman lantern over my head.

So, after I smothered the flames under my woolen stocking cap and drew some eyebrows back on my face, I took her out for a nice dinner at one of the downtown restaurants that had its power on and then we came home and layered ourselves with winter clothing. A couple glasses of wine later we were all right and amused ourselves listening to mp3 versions of Xmas shows from the golden days of radio (Jack Benny, Life of Riley, etc).

On Saturday we got away, and today the power is back on, the house is warm, and all's right with the world. At least this little corner of it. Two streets away they still are in the dark. It's all in the luck of the draw. And where the Suits from Puget Sound Energy live, apparently. Those neighborhoods seemed to get their lights back on almost immediately.

But I'm sure that was just a coincidence.

7 Comments:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

ROTFL!! I spent a few days like that back in good ole Michigan, myself!

jae said...

OMG! OPOV you make me laugh!

I am glad your power is back on. Now if we could just do the same for the Iraqi's....

Hey, I just got 'Bad Attitude' in the mail this week, can't wait to read it and get to know you better.....

:O)

Granny said...

Glad you're okay. I've been hearing from lots of people how bad it was.

Farnsworth68 said...

jae--thanks for buying the book. Let me know what you think of it after you read it.
There is a lot of me in it, so I think you'll have the feeling that you know me personally when you've finished it.

jae said...

If there was such a thing as a Professional Sarcastic, you would be a pro. This book is laugh out loud funny.........!

Farnsworth68 said...

Thank you. Tell your friends they can get their own copy at Amazon or their local bookstore.
F.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you are back in the modern world. Most women just don't like it without electricity; I can say this because I am one. I get pissed every time the electricity (or the cable) goes out. I feel like I'm paying for those services, and they damn well better work when I need them. Also, myuse of profanity increases exponetially when the power is out.

I hope you & your family had a wonderful holiday and look forward to being less busy at work so I have time to blog again.