Thursday, December 11, 2014

Millionaires For Clinton

A recent poll has Hillary Clinton ahead of Jeb Bush among millionaires by a whopping 72%. Of course that's among Democratic millionaires. Still, she pulled a respectable 31% among all millionaires.

Yeah, that's a surprise -- NOT. She's been a Wall Street sockpuppet/mouthpiece for years, and I really hope the Democrats will come to their senses before 2016 and find someone else to run. But that's like hoping the sun won't come up. At this point, without her even saying she's going to run, she has the nomination locked up.

After eight years of Clinton fatigue, immediately followed by another eight years of Bush fatigue, is this the best that either party can do for our country?

My fear in all of this is that a lot of Democrats view her with scorn, and a lot of people seem to have just a visceral dislike of her. We on the Left also didn't like the way Bill Clinton ran the country during his term in office, the way he had of dividing by triangulation the very people who should have been his chief supporters, the way he "ended welfare as we know it", the way he pandered to the right wing -- of both parties -- and the way he tried to carve out a "New Covenant" position in the middle of the road. To crib from the title of one of the great Jim Hightower's books, the only you thing you find in the middle of the road is dead armadillos.

There's no reason to think Hillary would do much differently than Bill, and gauging by her being in bed with so many Wall Street types, probably worse, and I think a lot of Democrats are going to basically sit the next one out if she's the candidate. I know that I will be hard pressed to find it in me to give her the kind of enthusiastically intense shoes-on-the-sidewalk campaigning that I did for Obama or John Kerry.

And if enough liberals are like me, then we'll end up with a Republican president. None of them are worth, as former Vice President John Nance "Cactus Jack" Garner said, "a bucket of warm piss". (Sidebar: This was reported for years euphemistically as a "bucket of warm spit".)

If Jeb runs, he'll probably get the nomination. That would be marginally acceptable, I suppose, despite the fact that he's another Bush. Even though he's supposed to be "the smart one", he's still a fucking Bush! What would not be acceptable would be if he does not run and Ted Cruz gets the nomination and wins the election.

Then it's Katy Bar the Door for all of us liberals. I'll have to start looking for another country to move to if that happens.

In the meantime, Elizabeth Warren, please change your mind! I'm too old to have to pull up stakes and move out of the country.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

I have no interest in voting for Hillary Clinton. If she's the nominee, I'll vote for the Green Party candidate.

Of course, I'm in Texas, where no Democrat has won a race for statewide office since 1996, so it's not much of a threat. With or without my vote, Texas' electoral votes are not going to be blue.

Farnsworth68 said...

I've never been one to shy away from third party candidates. I voted for John Anderson in 1980 and for Gus Hall in 1984, but those were both elections that everyone knew Reagan was going to win anyway, so I didn't feel bad about it. My big fear is that we'll have another Ralph Nader/Ross Perot wrench in the works if the liberals can come up with someone who'll grab the imagination and the passion, but that won't be enough to do anything except hand the election to the Republican.