Friday, February 03, 2012

Out of the Pink and Into the Stink

By now everyone knows about the political "wardrobe malfunction" of the Susan G. Komen foundation and its astute decision to defund Planned Parenthood.

To give them their due, the foundation has now done a complete 180 after the huge public outcry about their obviously political decision, but I will tell you one thing:

I don't give a shit how much they try to backpedal it, the damage is done. I will no longer give one fucking dollar to the foundation. Instead I will glady -- gleefully -- donate the same dollar amount to my local Planned Parenthood office that I previously donated to Cancer Incorporated/Komen Pink Inc.

I really don't care that they have had a much-publicized "change of heart" and rescinded their decision. I know, and we all know, where they really stand.

Fuck 'em.

4 Comments:

Nan said...

They didn't do a 180. They issued a statement that is carefully parsed to make it look like they did. What they have in fact done is say they won't pull any already awarded grants and that they will allow Planned Parenthood to apply for future grants if PP meets the criteria for those grants. . . and they've made it clear elsewhere that unless a clinic offers mammograms, they won't consider them to be doing actual cancer screening. Apparently the usual manual exam no longer counts.

Comrade Misfit said...

It's not a 180. All they said was that they would continue to accept applications for grants from Planned Parenthood. They didn't commit to approving any of them.

Komen gets nothing from me, other than scorn and slight regard.

Farnsworth68 said...

I think you are both correct, nan and cm. Just a quick cover-your-ass scurry when the shit his the fan.
No, I'll never give another dime to them or sponsor anyone on one of their Pink Runs or even give them space on this blog.
In the words of my Oklahoma grandmother, "they done peed in their chili."
--The F Man

double nickel said...

I've "Raun for the Cure" a few times....never again.