Friday, April 23, 2010

Velcome to Arizona. May I Plizz See Yur Paperz?

The governor of Arizona this afternoon signed into law an onerous and racist anti-immigration bill that will, among other things, institutionalize physical profiling and demand that everyone (okay, not everyone... everybody knows that the cops will hassle only Hispanic-appearing individuals) be able to produce his "papers" to "prove" that he is a US citizen.

Yeah, like I would be able to do that? Who the fuck carries around a birth certificate (which, as it turns out, really isn't proof of anything) or a passport?

Nevertheless, the intellectual geniuses in the Arizona legislature apparently feel, like US Rep Brian Bilbray, that you can only tell. By their attire!!!

Yeah, I guess if Jose and Maria are walking around with a couple of "I Am Stupid" and "I'm With Stupid" t-shirts, that would be a clear sign... Jesus, gimme a fuckin' break already.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lawsuit had been filed 30 seconds after the goobernator's signature on that racist piece of shit. Jeez, even Huckleberry says it'll be a bonanza for trial attorneys.

I can't imagine a more stupid law for law enforcement to try to enforce. And enforce they will, since there's a provision in this totally stupid piece of shit legislation for private citizens(!) to fucking sue law enforcement if, in the view of the "private citizen", a particular law enforcement officer doesn't show enough zeal in enforcing the law.

Jesus, no wonder police chiefs and law enforcement organizations all over the country have come out in opposition to this piece of shit legislation.

I used to live in Arizona, and I deplore this crap. I did at one time have aspirations to retire there, where I could take advantage of the climate and the sunshine, but I will never do that now, not as long as they think that this kind of legislation is what they ought to do.

It is racist. It is fascist. It is unnecessary. And, one can only hope, that it will be declared unconstitutional, once the lawsuits manage to wend their way through the sausage grinder that is the American court system.

But, given the current makeup of the court, it's not a slam-dunk that it will rule the correct way.

This'll bear watching.

0 Comments: