Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Time Off for the Holiday -- Plus Recipe!

Yeah, I know what you're thinking. The guy's on the job for half an hour and already he wants a break. Well, despite the cautions of Felix Clay over at Cracked.com, I'm devoting some time to my family.

My youngest daughter moved to town last year and now I have no excuse to avoid being with family for Thanksgiving. In the past, when all of the kids lived about an hour and half south of here, it was easy to beg off with some flimsy excuse or another -- It's too dark. It's too cold. It's too wet. My probation officer won't let me leave the county. You know, the usual stuff. But now that she and two of my grandchildren live here, that's not so easy.

So we are committed to having dinner here (despite the fact that my granddaughter has to work on Thanksgiving night -- need I mention that she works in retail at one of the local malls?) and that means that I have to actually do stuff. Like prepare food.

I'm thinking about fixing this:



Chances are good that I won't be expected to contribute anything foodwise, ever again...



Note: This was, obviously, a Hellman's Real Mayonnaise ad from WWII, when housewives had to be conscious of conserving their food ration points, hence the "low-point-cost" reference. Even in WWII, baloney was not rationed.

2 Comments:

Nan said...

Baloney used to come in loaves shaped like concrete blocks?

Farnsworth68 said...

Hmmm. Good question. I did an exhaustive search on the Internets and found one reference to square bologna -- http://tinyurl.com/njc5kl2 -- from a shoppers ad in Idaho in 1985. Now that I think of it, though, there's no reason that it couldn't come in a square loaf. After all, what is Olive Loaf but baloney with pretensions...?