Thursday, April 21, 2011

Yikes, It's My 66th Birthday!

In the words of the Old Cigar Philsopher (my grandfather), it's a case of "too-soon old, too-late smart.

Sixty-six years ago I was born, in this building:



If it looks like an old train station, that's because it was one. When the city of Longview (WA) was built in 1923, it was undertaken with a number of unsuccessful plans that never came to fruition.

One was that the town would be a railroad hub. But the tracks they originally laid down went only to the train station and stopped, so trains would have to reverse themselves and backtrack for several miles back to hit the main north-south trunk line. Then a river flood washed out the tracks, they were never relaid, and the train station was sold and turned into a hospital.

And there, on the evening of April 21, 1945, I came into the world. It hasn't been the same since...

The old station/hospital itself is longer standing. Sometime in the1980s it was torn town and a new hospital built on the spot.

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a good day. Your blog is awesome.

clem said...

happy birthday,farnsworth. may you be pissed off many more years.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and your blog rocks.

rangeragainstwar said...

POV,
Happy bday.
jim at ranger

Anonymous said...

Good job on 66. The picture appears younger. That is a 55 or 56 Ford in the parking lot. Stay pissed man!

Farnsworth68 said...

The picture is younger. I was born before they had cameras...
Thanks, everyone, for the birthday wishes. I hope myself for a few more years of pissed-offed-ness...
--The F Man

Anthony Pitman said...

Happy Birthday. Many more years of bitching to come.

rikie said...

hi it is my birthday too 21 april 1945

I am woman from holland
best wishes xxxxxx

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, rikie. I used to work with a woman who was also born same day same year. She kind of looked like me as well, and we were exploring the possibility of a "switched at birth" thing, but I learned she was born in Canada. My parents, if they thought of Canada at all, viewed is an old-film black and white version of the US, but with snow...
--The F Man