Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Saddleback and Politics

I've tried to ignore the Saddleback Inquisition Interrogation, wherein the two presumptive presidential candidates were questioned -- separately -- about a variety of religious topics. Questioned by an evangelical minister, no less.

The whole thing was wrong, it was stupid, and it was unAmerican in a nation founded on religious liberty and the separation of church and state.

I believe that it was also of questionable constitutional legality, since the US Constitution clearly states that "no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States".

If that dog-and-pony show was anything BUT a religious test, I'll eat my shorts. Obama should have refused.

Yeah, right. He really couldn't refuse to go on the show and expect that the Rethugs wouldn't come out with guns blazing about that refusal -- What's he trying to hide? Is he REALLY a Muslim? etc etc etc.

And that's really too bad, since this kind of thing tends to turn into a self-perpetuating cycle, with each repeat becoming a little more religious and a little less secular, until ultimately the fundos will just out-and-out say that it's a religious test instead of fancy-footing their way around it, the way mega-pastor Rick Warren claimed that he supported the idea of separation of church and state.

I just hope that somewhere along the line someone will show some balls and tell the moron-American voting bloc that his or her religious beliefs -- or lack thereof -- are none of our business. But my guess is that the fundos have achieved the perception that they have a lot of electoral power, and no politician will be saying that anytime soon.

Too bad. And that's probably one (among many) reasons why I've resisted the call whenever anyone has suggested that I run for office. I don't suffer fools gladly.

2 Comments:

mrln said...

I know Obama is trying to rise above the tactics of the right wing...and in doing so he may win a battle or two, but I'm afraid he's gonna lose--the election! The right is talking about his African half brother's sad life, as if it's Obama's fault, comparing Obama's relationship with Rev. Wright with befriending a terrorist...and Rove is busy intimidating witnesses in a developing Ohio civil suit against him while engineering another stolen election. (see http://discuss.epluribusmedia.net/taxonomy/term/3860). No wonder no one has gone after him! He'll threaten your family!!

Add to all that the considerable assistance of the VAST right wing conspiracy and all their media outlets, and it seems overwhelming. And depressing.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the "moron-American" voting bloc really stand for the majority in this country. I have become proud to no longer consider myself an American. I keep up on current events. I ask questions. I actually think. Americans don't do any of those things.