Friday, July 11, 2008

Obama and the FISA Vote

I will admit that I was more than a little disappointed in Barack Obama's seeming shift to the right over this issue, but I'm not about to take him to task for it. Beating John McCain is the most important thing in the political world to me; I'd still actively support Obama even if there were a video of him stomping puppies (and come to think of it, there might as well be, since he's being taken to task -- and cast as some kind of Anti-Faux-News Un-American -- because the Obama family has no pets... but that's another rant for another day).

But after I got to thinking about it, I can understand why he did it. His vote didn't matter one way or the other, the bill would still have passed if he'd voted the other way. But, by casting his vote in favor of the bill, it immediately and automatically removes an item of ammunition from the Other Side -- you know, the whole "Democrats are soft on defense, love the terrorists, etc etc" thing.

And, since Grampaw McCain had "other priorities" and wasn't present to vote on it, he's giving the Dems a precious gift: "John McCain cares so little about the defense of this nation that he didn't even bother to show up to vote", etc.

If they'll only use it.

0 Comments: