Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Gonzales to Journalists: You're Next

In what appears to be some kind of trial balloon, Grand Inquisitor Alberto "Torquemada" Gonzales hints at prosecution of journalists who publish "classified" information.


Appearing on ABC's talking heads program This Week, Torquemada said that, with regard to tracking down the leak of the secret domestic spying operation, "There are some statutes on the book which, if you read the language carefully, would seem to indicate that that is a possibility," i.e., that the journalists who published the story could be prosecuted.

Prosecuted for disclosing an illegal government operation. Prosecuted for doing their fucking jobs.

"I will say that I understand very much the role that the press plays in our society, the protection under the First Amendment we want to promote and respect, the right of the press. But it can't be the case that that right trumps over the right that Americans would like to see, the ability of the federal government to go after criminal activity," Torquemada said, without a trace of irony, while seeming to deny that the government would wiretap the telephones of journalists.

Jesus, isn't it enough that they have the majority of the lapdog media slavering at their feet? Now they have to track down and stifle the last few reporters who have not sold out their dignity and their souls to the corrupt corporate neofascist BFEE regime.

1 Comment:

Farnsworth68 said...

I meant to give bohica the credit for the graphic, the way I did the first time I used it, but it slipped my mind.
At my age, that's starting to happen more and more.
So, bohica, next time I use it I will give you the props.
The F-Man