Monday, November 12, 2012

Portland Oregon's Liberal Talk Radio Stifled

I suppose that it had to happen. KPOJ, Portland's liberal talk radio station, was owned by rightwing masters of the universe Clear Channel Communications, which is in turn partially owned by ... [cue spooky music] ... Bain Capital! So, just three days after the election, it was announced that KPOJ was going -- and going immediately -- from talk radio to sports radio, Fox Sports Radio, in fact.

I guess KPOJ's voice of reason was starting to get through to the knuckledragging wingnuttery so much that the overlords had to shut it down to shut it up. The only thing that's surprising is that they waited until after the election to do it.

KPOJ was a premier voice in the northwest countering the alternate reality of the wingnut fringe. I would listen to it regularly when I drove south from where I live, since my own liberal talk radio station, KPTK out of Seattle, fringes out about ten miles from here, but I could pick up KPOJ loud and clear all the way to where I was going. So I am personally going to miss it a lot.

4 Comments:

Nameless Cynic said...

Well, if you've upgraded to a reasonably smart phone (I haven't, but that's just me), I-Heart-Radio can pull in stations from around the country.

Assuming you have a signal, of course. Depends on how far into the boonies you're driving, I guess.

Farnsworth68 said...

Nope, I haven't either. I don't want to have a phone that's smarter than I am...
--The F Man

double nickel said...

You can listen to i Heart radio stations over your computer as well.

double nickel said...

Unless you live outside of the US apparently. :(