Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Dog Days

I've been laying low for the last month. I'm okay but I needed to recharge my batteries.

There's an infamous experiment involving dogs in which a dog suffers a random electric shock (who dreams up these inhuman experiments, the ideological offspring of Joseph Goebbels?) no matter what he does. It didn't take long for the dog to be reduced to a quivering whiny mass of helplessness.

Okay, I'm not that bad. Yet. But with the Rethug overt Teabagger destruction of the economy, the unlikely rise of Michelle I-Am-Batshit-Crazy Bachmann and the deaths of all those Navy Seals in Afghanistan, I'm on the verge.

I'm going to take the rest of the summer off and enjoy some summer weather. If we ever have any. The rest of the country is sweltering in 100+ degree heat while we are suffering with lower than normal temperatures and more rain than we normally get in February. The camping trip was a nightmare, which I knew was going to happen when we got to the campsite and it was two inches under water...

Anyway, see you after Labor Day. Thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Welcome back. Have some of our "summer." As I write, it's only 94, dew-point 66, heat index only 98.3. One of our coolest days in over a month.

Nameless Cynic said...

Been wondering why you haven't been showing up on my blogreader. Hey, you have to take care of yourself - nobody else is there for you 24/7. (Those other people do stuff like eat and sleep - selfish bastards...)

There's an infamous experiment involving dogs in which a dog suffers a random electric shock (who dreams up these inhuman experiments...?)

The Bush Administration, most recently.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, guys. I was as close to burning out as I have been in years. The rest is doing me a world of good, as is the news on the Rethug front.
I'll be back as snappy as ever after Labor Day. And thanks for reading.
--The F Man

Anonymous said...

Farnsworth,

The experiment you're looking for, it's called the Skinner Box, a.k.a. Shock the Monkey... It's basically an analog of where U.S. society is today. We've been shocked by the spin on terrorism, bad politics, and the economy so long that we're either a bunch of quivering fear wads, so pissed off we're about to snap, or just don't give a f@ck. All were conclusions gathered by Dr. Skinner from the dogs and monkeys. I for one cycle between not caring and being pissed off, but powerless to do anything.

-WageslaveZ-

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, WS. I swear, I have the smartest blog readers in the known universe!
See you in September.
--The F Man

Anonymous said...

'Most of us heave at least a little sigh of relief when we drive up to the Canadian border from New York or Michigan. We should probably cancel that sigh about now or at least delay it a few minutes longer. Last week, Toronto marine biologist turned science fiction writer Peter Watts received a suspended sentence with a $500 fine (and $1,128 in fees) after being convicted back in March of resisting and obstructing an American border patrol officer at the Port Huron border crossing. (What it came down too...ultimately, was those moments after I was repeatedly struck in the face by [the guard] (an event not in dispute, incidentally). After [the guard] had finished whaling on me in the car, and stepped outside, and ordered me out of the vehicle; after I’d complied with that, and was standing motionless beside the car, and [the guard] told me to get on the ground—I just stood there, saying “What is the problem?”, just before [the guard] maced me.)

"And that, said the Prosecutor in her final remarks, that, right there, was failure to comply. That was enough to convict." D4D