Thursday, October 01, 2009

Hey, I'm the Victim Here!

This is from our "Are You Fucking Kidding Me?" file. I mean really, my fucking jaw dropped when I read this shit.

Turns out that I, along with the whole Farnsworth clan, are victims of the slavery system. Yes, that's right. Because my great-great-great-etc. grandfather, Rufus Leeking Farnsworth, owned slaves (jeez, after all, we came out of the "shallow south", i.e., Tennessee and Arkansas), then according to Glenn The Beckster's guru, one W. Cleon Skousen, it was the slave owners who suffered the most from slavery, and NOT the slaves!

Well, in words of Jane Ace, you coulda knocked me over with a fender!

Oh, and BTW, I do need to add that, in addition to his membership in the John Birch Society and other extremist rightwing organizations, that Skousen was also a Mormon. The same church that our Beckster, evidently coming down from a hangover of monumental proportions, joined and now crows about with the stereotypical zeal of the convert.

Over at Media Matters, you can read an in-depth analysis of the weirdness that is Skousen -- and of course, by extension, Glenn Beck himself.

I used to think that the Beckster, along with his moronic cohorts like Limpdick and Slanthead and mAnn Coulter, couldn't possibly believe the crap that they were spewing out on the peoples' airwaves. That the gurus recognized that they were nothing more than entertainers who gave their audience what they wanted...

But that was before I learned that Beck was a Mormon convert. And anyone that can even entertain the remote possibility that Joseph Smith was a "prophet, seer and revelator", chosen by god himself, is someone that will believe pretty much anything: Up is down, black is white, left is right, day is night ... the list is endless, but if the current "prophet, seer and revelator" of the church dictates it, then the true believer (in other words, the theologically retarded challenged) will have to parrot the new party line, regardless of whether it makes sense or not.

I am not making this shit up. It's true. I have had the occasion to know personally a number of Mormons over the years, and when The One True Church finally, if belatedly, recognized in the mid-1970s that they were being racist and changed the rules on African-American membership in The One True Church, many of them were privately disgruntled (racist as they were and pretty much still remain) but publicly extolled the virtues of the "prophet, seer and revelator" by having a new "revelation from god" that absolutely contradicted every other "revelation" about the "Negro Problem" that any previous "prophet, seer and revelator" at the head of the church had dictated. Which included the whole "curse of Cain" crap from a theology that went out of favor -- and credibility -- about the time of the First Crusade.

So back to my ancestor the slaveholder. I'll bet that Grampa Farnsworth is resting easy in his grave these days. Despite the fact that he actually enlisted and fought for the confederacy, lost a leg in the process, and ended up in the so-called "Indian Nation" (aka Oklahoma) where he found a bride among the Cherokees and spawned a progeny that includes me, the most liberal of the Farnsworth dynasty, he should be happy that we are all, to this very day, among the uncounted white victims of slavery...

7 Comments:

mrln said...

I thought I was disturbed by what was happening during Bush's tenure, but I am becoming increasingly alarmed by what I'm seeing now. I really thought things would get back to "normal" once a Democrat was elected. What is happening now--references to Hitler (bizarre!!), tea parties, a march on Washington (to DEPRIVE people of health care!!), people CHEERING when the US lost the 2016 Olympics... Huh? I must have fallen down a rabbit hole....

SUPERMAN, HELP US!!!

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks mrln. I too had hoped for a return to "normalcy" at the end of the reign of error that was the BFEE, but I think we went around that bend of the river of no return a few years back.
BTW, I think a more apt Lewis Carroll reference is Through the Looking Glass.
--The F Man

mrln said...

True, F man... in a saner world. But we went "through the looking glass" eight years ago.

"Down, down, down. Would the fall NEVER come to an end! " (Lewis Carroll; Through the Looking Glass)

Chapter II, by the way is "The Pool of Tears"...

jae said...

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103933

OMG, This one is HILARIOUS.

Farnsworth68 said...

Thanks, mrln. On further review, I agree with you. This is true insanity.
jae, thanks and here's a clickable link to that episode.

oldgreek said...

Half way through "Bad Attitude" Mr. F. Cracks me up and brings back lots of memories. To be fair though, I was in the Air Force and things were somewhat more refined. You're number 1 in my book.
By the way, have you read any Terry Pratchett books? May I recommend "Small Gods" to you?
Keep up the good work.

A World Quite Mad said...

Beckster doesn't have a grasp on a history (or reality that is) of the last five minutes much less a history of something as complex as the Civil War. But that isn't the problem. The problem is that they allow this man to be on public television, on a program that is put forth as being the "news", to pass his lies and mis-truths onto the unsuspecting and uneducated and unthinking Americans who lack that bullshit filter (aka Critical Thinking Skills) in their brain. We could elect Jesus himself, and these "Christians" (and ho-boy do I use that term loosely) would be ready to impeach him and/or crucify him a second time.

"America will never be destroyed from without. If we falter and lose our freedom, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." --Abraham Lincoln